Monday, September 03, 2007

Great Balls o' Fire!


Here's the latest in my Summer of Magical Socks series -- the Chinese Fireball Dragon socks. The yarn is from Sunshine yarns, and for once, I don't mind the pooling and flashing in this colorway, because, after all -- it is supposed to be dragonish.


I used the "Small Capitals" stitch pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks, but did them toe-up with an inch of ribbing to finish up the leg. The stitch marker is a sterling silver dragon charm.

The dragon picture in the picture with the socks is created using a Japanese needlework method called bunka. It is done with a small hollow punch needle and a fine raveled-silk thread. I started this piece when I lived in Okinawa as a teenager, and finished it when I was in my early 20's. I never liked all the "beginner" bunka pictures with flowers and birds -- I liked the advanced ones with tsurus, tigers, and dragons. :) I made several bunka pieces while in Okinawa, and gave them to friends and relatives. I kept this dragon, but this is the first time I have ever hung it on a wall in my house. I like it. I think it will stay for a while. :)

2 comments:

NH Knitting Mama said...

Wow, those socks are fantastic - nice job!

Beth said...

Completely gorgeous! Summer's almost over - any more magical socks up your sleeve?